Digital Geospatial Appraisal Meeting
November 17-18, 2010
Library of Congress, James Madison Building
Montpelier Room, 6th Floor
101 Independence Ave. SE
Washington, DC 20540
The Library of Congress held a second geospatial preservation summit meeting on November 17 and 18, 2010 that built on the efforts of the 2009 Framing a National Preservation and Access Strategy for Geospatial Data meeting.
The meeting focused on the selection and appraisal of digital geospatial data, with discussion topics including the criteria for selection and appraisal of digital geospatial data, as well as selection and appraisal models and processes.
Initial meeting discussions were driven by a set of questions posed in a white paper (PDF, 157KB) written by Steve Morris of the North Carolina State University Libraries specifically for the meeting:
- Are current appraisal and selection policies and practices robust and adaptable enough to address geospatial data?
- Which pieces of existing policies and practices are the best candidates for sharing across institutional boundaries?
- What specific aspects of appraisal and selection require more investigation?
- Are there models of shared services and cooperation between data managing agencies, on the one hand, and archives and libraries, on the other hand, around the longterm preservation of geospatial data?
- What are some basic next steps that can be taken to advance the practice of geospatial data appraisal and selection?
Bill LeFurgy, NDIIPP, Library of Congress (PDF, 2.91MB)
Case Study: Current Appraisal and Selection Policies
- Butch Lazorchak, NDIIPP, Library of Congress (PDF, 27KB)
- Brett Abrams, National Archives (PDF, 23KB)
- Colleen Cahill, Library of Congress (PDF, 644KB)
- John Faundeen, USGS, EROS Center (no slides)
Current Issues in Appraisal and Selection: What specific aspects of appraisal and selection require more investigation?
- Maurie Caitlin Kelly, PASDA (PDF, 1.41MB)
- Dan Kowal, NOAA National Geophysical Data Center (PDF, 1MB)
- Bob Downs, CIESIN (PDF, 175KB)
- Abby Rumsey, Library of Congress (no slides)
- Steven Jackson, NGA (no slides)
- Allan Wiley, U.S. Army Geospatial Center (PDF, 1.86MB)
- Paul Schirle, Congressional Research Service (PDF, 96KB)
- Bob Horton, Minnesota Historical Society (no slides)
Models of Shared Service
- Nancy Ritchey, NOAA National Climatic Data Center (PDF, 576KB)
- Bob Downs, CIESIN (PDF, 100KB)
- Brett Abrams, National Archives; John Faundeen, USGS, EROS Center (PDF, 20KB)
- Minnesota Guidebook to: Priority GIS Data (July 1999) (externa link) (PDF)
- NASA Cost Estimation Toolkit (CET) (external link)
- NOAA Procedure for Scientific Records Appraisal and Archive Approval (PDF)
- NOAA Procedure for Scientific Records Appraisal and Archive Approval: Guide For Data Managers (PDF,)
- USGS/EROS Administrative Procedure Document (PDF,3.87MKB)
- USGS/EROS Records Management Plan (PDF, 237KB)
- USGS/EROS Geospatial Data_Appraisal Questions (short) (PDF, 12KB)
- USGS/EROS Geospatial Data_Appraisal Questions (full list) (PDF,21 KB)
For further information about the meeting please contact Butch Lazorchak, email@example.com, (202) 707-2603.