The Content Working Group is focusing on investigating guidelines for the selection of significant content, discovery of at-risk digital content or collections, and engaging all stakeholders in the process of acquiring the content, preserve it, and provide access to it. The Content Working Group’s current scope of work involves "content teams" grouped in the following topical areas:
- News, Media, and Journalism
- Science, Mathematics, Technology and Medicine
- Social Sciences
- Cultural Heritage
- Arts & Humanities
The Content Teams are assessing and selecting categories of content in their topical areas that are important for preserving. The groups are developing case studies and/or models to share broadly with all stakeholders, from content producers to cultural heritage organizations. The goal of the case studies is to engage all members of the community in the preservation of content and to encourage the cultivation of relationships that could enable preservation.
Case Studies will:
- Establish the value of the content and provide the rationale for selecting it for preservation. What value does the content have? Is anyone collecting it? What factors affect its risk of disappearance?
- Document recognized opportunities for preserving this content. Are there workflows in the creation or distribution of content that present opportunities for preservation?
- Describe target audiences/stakeholders. Who would find value in this content and how might they be engaged in the process of preservation?
- Outline a plan for educating stakeholders. How might NDSA or another organization raise the awareness of stakeholders including content creators, publishers, educators, libraries, researchers, or donors?
- Describe potential obstacles or risk factors. What barriers for users/creators/preservationists might be faced and what options are there for overcoming them?
- Develop actionable next steps. What can we do next, as a community or as individual institutions to ensure that important content is preserved?
Completed Case Studies:
- Community and Hyperlocal News (PDF, 124KB)
- Citizen Journalism (PDF, 119KB)
- Newspaper E-Prints (PDF, 119KB)
Additionally, Content Working Group Members have been engaged in:
NDSA questions? Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.